So what size is the official approved for 20 please? and is that written somewhere please?

VW, in the last 12 months, have started selling 20” Supermetal wheels and tyre packages, approved up to T30. And the tyre size is 275/35. They don’t approve one for the T32, but 265/40 is the nearest match and we’ve tried and tested this size.
HTH

ok so coming down on the profile to 35 and the 275 did you find that clears the inner arch cover...i appreciate ET of the wheel comes into play...

As a suggestion, on 8.5 rims in the past I've run 245/45/20s these are 102Y load rated and would sit nice on the 8.5 rim. If there is no intention of going lower than 40mm then the 245/45 would offer a compromise between width and road comfort. However rolling radius is a big step up from say a 255/45/18 which is the standard sportline alloy/tyre combination sizing offered by VW. 255/35/20s are the same rolling radius as a 255/45/18 so no issues with speedo readings, but again, comfort would be the compromise albeit 255/35s have a 6mm sidewall increase from my 235/35s on a 8.5 rim. From experience, tyres can be a nightmare to get right and I must of bought at least half a dozen sets in the past 2yrs for a variety of wheels sizes and widths so don't rush into purchasing any until you are sure on what meets your needs, comfort, looks, practicality...my 235/35s look good to me (not all like it I'm sure) however I wince every time I see the slightest pot hole, I've curbed 3 of the 4 alloys and taking the family mountain biking scares me driving through the country park carparks and there is a lack of comfort compared to a 40/45 profile tyre
@andybanes - it was good to meet up with you this morning, this post may of confused you more and not been very helpful but what i'm trying to say is you need to consider how the van is being used and with the alloys at ET45 to wide a tyre would only rub on the inner arch liner. if it was me I'd go the 255/35.

yeah good to meet up today and chris.....Sure just playing with the various directions....thanks again!

275/35 for up to T30 and 265/40 for T32 - we would recommend Goodyear F1.
A 275/40 is too big.
I’ve just bought my first Transporter so I’m on a steep learning curve.
The van I bought is a T32 and it’s running 275/35/20. Are these the wrong size?

In theory yes.
Some very early T32, but I’m thinking 2015 had lower weight ratings so you could run this tyre, or the tyre are Pirelli B1 Bentley fitment, that they haven’t made for a few years.

802014E1-68F6-4D6C-8458-ABF166F65408.jpeg
Supermetal Trident 275/35/20 Event Potentem tyres (Budget). Eibach ‘Comfort’ 35 - 40mm adjustable springs. More than acceptable ride quality & quiet (wife hasn’t complained!)

Reactions: .50
oooh.....is the upright bit of the flap screwed through the bumper...so there is a hole?

Last edited:
there’s Two or three holes if I recall, I took mine off and had the bumper painted looks so much better without and if your going low they catch everything or at least mine did on 18’s with b14’s wound all the way down.

VW, in the last 12 months, have started selling 20” Supermetal wheels and tyre packages, approved up to T30. And the tyre size is 275/35. They don’t approve one for the T32, but 265/40 is the nearest match and we’ve tried and tested this size.
HTH

@andy banes

@BognorMotors changed the sizes of my tyres on my LWB T32. I was running 275/40/20’s which came with the van but when fitting B14’s this size rubs. 265/40/20’s are spot on and look great on the wheels and are comfortable. Goodyear Eagle F1 A3’s on mine....

Back