2-way Radios (CB, Amateur etc)

TassieT6

Hello

Has anybody fitted a 2-way radio in their T6?

I'm curious to find out where people have mounted them, powered them (fuses, cable routing) and where you have run your antenna cables.

Don't post photos of your expensive transceivers unless you are confident that the information won't be used as an online shop for thieves.

We have been using Motorola T80 for a few years.

Reviving this thread to see if anyone has fitted one.
You're right @mhill that overhead console is an ideal site potentially.

Has anybody on the forum successfully routed cables from below the dash to the overhead console? How did you do it? How do you remove the covers on the overhead console?

Does anyone use them still? I have one but not seen anyone else I see the t4’s with them

We've used Beofeng and Retevis UHF handies for a few years. Cheap as chips, 5 watts, & a high capacity lithium battery
The Beofeng BF888 is almost identical to the Retevis H777 and they can be mixed.
Baofeng BF-888S Walkie Talkie Interphone 400-470MHz 16CH 1500MAh 5W EU Plug* | eBay
Retevis H777 Portable 16CH UHF 400-470MHz Ham Radio 2 Way Radio Walkie-Talkie | eBay
They have 16 'channels' each of which can be programmed as you like, 70cm ham band, PMR446, etc, or a mix.
Dead easy to use, just switch on & go. Channel selection is by a 16-way rotary switch. Its like 16 switchable memories.
If you want any config changes its done via USB using a PC program that looks like a simple spreadsheet.
It will do repeater shift, CTCSS (many independent conversations on the same channel), scanning, etc
Brilliant value for £11, they have a huge ham following.
Cheers
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
We've used Beofeng and Retevis UHF handies for a few years. Cheap as chips, 5 watts, & a high capacity lithium battery
The Beofeng BF888 is almost identical to the Retevis H777 and they can be mixed.
Baofeng BF-888S Walkie Talkie Interphone 400-470MHz 16CH 1500MAh 5W EU Plug* | eBay
Retevis H777 Portable 16CH UHF 400-470MHz Ham Radio 2 Way Radio Walkie-Talkie | eBay
They have 16 'channels' each of which can be programmed as you like, 70cm ham band, PMR446, etc, or a mix.
Dead easy to use, just switch on & go. Channel selection is by a 16-way rotary switch. Its like 16 switchable memories.
If you want any config changes its done via USB using a PC program that looks like a simple spreadsheet.
It will do repeater shift, CTCSS (many independent conversations on the same channel), scanning, etc
Brilliant value for £11, they have a huge ham following.
Cheers
Phil
I might get one for £11 Is it just turn em on when I’m on a meet or convoy? If those things exist still?
Cheers

I might get one for £11
one? erm....
grin.gif

They come with a standard set of frequencies loaded into the memories, which aren't actually within
the legal UK bands, but work perfectly well - so you could use them as-is or move them onto PMR446.
If you've a ham license you can move them on to the 70cm band. Mine have a mix of both.
They exceed the permitted power of PMR446 by 10db but its an exclusive band so its very unlikely
you'd cause anyone a problem. The nature of walkie-talkie transmissions is short & to the point,
you're not making a continuous four-hour transmission for the authorities to triangulate whilst
you're doing 70 down the M1
wink.gif

They're good for keeping a travelling group together and safer to use than a phone, but all the
same, let your passenger do the talking!
Cheers
Phil

one? erm....
grin.gif

They come with a standard set of frequencies loaded into the memories, which aren't actually within
the legal UK bands, but work perfectly well - so you could use them as-is or move them onto PMR446.
If you've a ham license you can move them on to the 70cm band. Mine have a mix of both.
They exceed the permitted power of PMR446 by 10db but its an exclusive band so its very unlikely
you'd cause anyone a problem. The nature of walkie-talkie transmissions is short & to the point,
you're not making a continuous four-hour transmission for the authorities to triangulate whilst
you're doing 70 down the M1
wink.gif

They're good for keeping a travelling group together and safer to use than a phone, but all the
same, let your passenger do the talking!
Cheers
Phil
Just one mate. I do enough talking to myself :)
I was looking at some hytera radios for work, I haven’t a clue about them. I understand the pmr channels and the ones I want I will need an ofcom lisence to use them but they are £350 each and I need 3.

I would like to fit a 2 way radio in my 6.1 - it looks like there is very little use in UK but they are common in Australia. Does anyone have any pics of mount points - especially overhead console ? Thx

I decided that the type of transceivers (one in particular) that I'm using would be too heavy to mount on the standard console and would obstruct the rear vision mirror. I'm now looking at mounting a "Ram Mounts" track either vertical on the panel under the gear shifter or horizontally on the side of the passenger seat.
I am licenced to use significantly more powerful transceivers than the Baofengs mentioned above, the biggest being an HF Land Mobile Outpost radio with 125W PEP output. The main unit is hidden away but the control panel is still quite large. I'll post photos when it's finished.

I have a 5w handheld CB/UHF radio in a stubby cooler in the cup holder on the dashboard. The handheld mic is clipped to the stubby cooler as well.
Works really well, comes in useful when trying to pass caravans in convoy who all drive right behind each other. You can ask them to drop back a bit.
Also when driving in isolated areas gives you a bit more safety when out of phone range.
For the price, a useful addition.20210710_100200.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately no benefit over here in the UK as none of the caravans in the convoy would have a matching radio!

Luckily over here in oz caravans in convoy seem to all have cb radios to talk to each other, we can scan to see what channel they are on and then communicate.

Over here, apart from a few enthusiasts it pretty much died when everyone got a phone in their pocket, and PMR446 doesn't have the coverage unless you're both on a hilltop

I have a 5w handheld CB/UHF radio in a stubby cooler in the cup holder on the dashboard. The handheld mic is clipped to the stubby cooler as well.
Works really well, comes in useful when trying to pass caravans in convoy who all drive right behind each other. You can ask them to drop back a bit.
Also when driving in isolated areas gives you a bit more safety when out of phone range.
For the price, a useful addition.View attachment 123039
As it happens I have the same GME handheld and that will be my solution. Thank you - saved me a lot of money. A bonus is the van has a 12 v power outlet on the dash - perfect :)

Back