2-way Radios (CB, Amateur etc)

TassieT6

Hello

Has anybody fitted a 2-way radio in their T6?

I'm curious to find out where people have mounted them, powered them (fuses, cable routing) and where you have run your antenna cables.

Don't post photos of your expensive transceivers unless you are confident that the information won't be used as an online shop for thieves.

Loz

California 204 DSG 4Motion MY17
VCDS User
Admin
VIP Member
We have been using Motorola T80 for a few years.

Ed Webb

Webber
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Reviving this thread to see if anyone has fitted one.
You're right @mhill that overhead console is an ideal site potentially.

TassieT6

Has anybody on the forum successfully routed cables from below the dash to the overhead console? How did you do it? How do you remove the covers on the overhead console?

Highline

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Does anyone use them still? I have one but not seen anyone else I see the t4’s with them

Phil_G

VIP Member
T6 Guru
We've used Beofeng and Retevis UHF handies for a few years. Cheap as chips, 5 watts, & a high capacity lithium battery
The Beofeng BF888 is almost identical to the Retevis H777 and they can be mixed.
Baofeng BF-888S Walkie Talkie Interphone 400-470MHz 16CH 1500MAh 5W EU Plug* | eBay
Retevis H777 Portable 16CH UHF 400-470MHz Ham Radio 2 Way Radio Walkie-Talkie | eBay
They have 16 'channels' each of which can be programmed as you like, 70cm ham band, PMR446, etc, or a mix.
Dead easy to use, just switch on & go. Channel selection is by a 16-way rotary switch. Its like 16 switchable memories.
If you want any config changes its done via USB using a PC program that looks like a simple spreadsheet.
It will do repeater shift, CTCSS (many independent conversations on the same channel), scanning, etc
Brilliant value for £11, they have a huge ham following.
Cheers
Phil

Last edited:

Highline

VIP Member
T6 Pro
We've used Beofeng and Retevis UHF handies for a few years. Cheap as chips, 5 watts, & a high capacity lithium battery
The Beofeng BF888 is almost identical to the Retevis H777 and they can be mixed.
Baofeng BF-888S Walkie Talkie Interphone 400-470MHz 16CH 1500MAh 5W EU Plug* | eBay
Retevis H777 Portable 16CH UHF 400-470MHz Ham Radio 2 Way Radio Walkie-Talkie | eBay
They have 16 'channels' each of which can be programmed as you like, 70cm ham band, PMR446, etc, or a mix.
Dead easy to use, just switch on & go. Channel selection is by a 16-way rotary switch. Its like 16 switchable memories.
If you want any config changes its done via USB using a PC program that looks like a simple spreadsheet.
It will do repeater shift, CTCSS (many independent conversations on the same channel), scanning, etc
Brilliant value for £11, they have a huge ham following.
Cheers
Phil
I might get one for £11 Is it just turn em on when I’m on a meet or convoy? If those things exist still?
Cheers

Phil_G

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I might get one for £11
one? erm....

They come with a standard set of frequencies loaded into the memories, which aren't actually within
the legal UK bands, but work perfectly well - so you could use them as-is or move them onto PMR446.
If you've a ham license you can move them on to the 70cm band. Mine have a mix of both.
They exceed the permitted power of PMR446 by 10db but its an exclusive band so its very unlikely
you'd cause anyone a problem. The nature of walkie-talkie transmissions is short & to the point,
you're not making a continuous four-hour transmission for the authorities to triangulate whilst
you're doing 70 down the M1

They're good for keeping a travelling group together and safer to use than a phone, but all the
same, let your passenger do the talking!
Cheers
Phil

Highline

VIP Member
T6 Pro
one? erm....

They come with a standard set of frequencies loaded into the memories, which aren't actually within
the legal UK bands, but work perfectly well - so you could use them as-is or move them onto PMR446.
If you've a ham license you can move them on to the 70cm band. Mine have a mix of both.
They exceed the permitted power of PMR446 by 10db but its an exclusive band so its very unlikely
you'd cause anyone a problem. The nature of walkie-talkie transmissions is short & to the point,
you're not making a continuous four-hour transmission for the authorities to triangulate whilst
you're doing 70 down the M1

They're good for keeping a travelling group together and safer to use than a phone, but all the
same, let your passenger do the talking!
Cheers
Phil
Just one mate. I do enough talking to myself :)
I was looking at some hytera radios for work, I haven’t a clue about them. I understand the pmr channels and the ones I want I will need an ofcom lisence to use them but they are £350 each and I need 3.