1st weekend in new campervan - Brecon Beacons

interbear

VIP Member
T6 Guru
So having taken delivery early March, we took our new campervan for a trial spin out to the Caravan & Motorhome Club site in the Brecon Beacons. Only an hour or so away from home so we thought it a good spot for our first attempt at a van weekend.

The site itself was impressive. Good sized pitches, friendly staff, decent wee shop and the toilet/shower facilities were immaculate. Clearly camping has moved on since I was a boy :) Plus a fantastic “gastropub” (The Three Horseshoes in Groesffordd) only 10 minutes walk from the site (I’d recommend that for anyone looking for high quality food in the Brecons).

We loved the van. Everything worked swimmingly, gas, electrics, water, diesel heater, pop top, we tested it all. Ridgemonkey passed its first usage test, cracking little utensil. We slept on the Rib bed rather than the roof bed, just raised the roof for headspace. The dog settled really well which was good too.
The only learning is that will probably swap the 2.5cm Duvalay mattress topper for a 4 or 5cm version, or the sleeping bags, for a little extra comfort, assuming they are not too bulky for transporting.

All in all, fabulous, look forward to more weekends away and have already booked a campsite in France for the summer.

B19723-A9-E0-E0-4-C73-A95-D-2-C6-B9-FB5-B6-BF.jpg

4-D3-FEB53-4982-407-A-8-F4-D-8-EA57075-B068.jpg

A6313-F18-0-E48-4-EC3-B8-F2-666193-E1-D446.jpg

Got my camper last month and havent stayed over in it yet but plan to next month somewhere in Wales and go off hiking.

Glad you had a brilliant time! What RidgeMonkey did you have? Been looking at them (the sandwich toaster/pans) myself

Got my camper last month and havent stayed over in it yet but plan to next month somewhere in Wales and go off hiking.

Glad you had a brilliant time! What RidgeMonkey did you have? Been looking at them (the sandwich toaster/pans) myself

We bought the RidgeMonkey Connect Compact XL - Connect Compact Sandwich Toaster

Be sure to get the XL version, it’s still very compact. But packs up nicely and has utensils built in. Got it on Amazon UK.

Hiking in Wales is fab, enjoy!

Reminds me of our first night camping as total campervan newbies. Went to Harrow Wood in the New forest in October 2020 and have been hooked ever since.
Did many trips into Wales last year and can highly recommend Nicholaston Farm on the Gower which is not far from you.
I received a Ridgemonkey XL from Santa last Xmas - yes they are brilliant.

@T6ChrisO Hi Teamy and it's not just a Sandwich toaster lol ....... would also recommend a Wok with a lid....

So having taken delivery early March, we took our new campervan for a trial spin out to the Caravan & Motorhome Club site in the Brecon Beacons. Only an hour or so away from home so we thought it a good spot for our first attempt at a van weekend.

The site itself was impressive. Good sized pitches, friendly staff, decent wee shop and the toilet/shower facilities were immaculate. Clearly camping has moved on since I was a boy :) Plus a fantastic “gastropub” (The Three Horseshoes in Groesffordd) only 10 minutes walk from the site (I’d recommend that for anyone looking for high quality food in the Brecons).

We loved the van. Everything worked swimmingly, gas, electrics, water, diesel heater, pop top, we tested it all. Ridgemonkey passed its first usage test, cracking little utensil. We slept on the Rib bed rather than the roof bed, just raised the roof for headspace. The dog settled really well which was good too.
The only learning is that will probably swap the 2.5cm Duvalay mattress topper for a 4 or 5cm version, or the sleeping bags, for a little extra comfort, assuming they are not too bulky for transporting.

All in all, fabulous, look forward to more weekends away and have already booked a campsite in France for the summer.

View attachment 150424

View attachment 150427

View attachment 150426
What is the name of this site?

View attachment 150424

View attachment 150427

View attachment 150426
Tell the truth now, @interbear: did you buy that kettle to match the colour of your van? :cool:

TBF, I had intended to buy a bright orange kettle to match the proposed accent colour of my van. Though now, I'm considering installing a boiling water tap.

Isn't that the norm @Bav .....we have a room full of kettles (may be a slight exaggeration), that Mrs Ricardo has ordered but not quite found the 'right' colour match! :slow rofl:
Agreed - I just like causing mischief... occasionally. :whistle:

Back