1st trip help

Forrest4799

T6 Pro
Ok so I’m finally taking the camper out next week for our 1st stop over and a few questions if anybody can help.
i was wondering whether to put water in to the water tank or just purchase 5/10 litre water storage then use it for drinking, boiling water, cleaning etc.
if I use the van water tank how often should I clean it out and what should I use.
what is everyone using to collect dirty waste water, looking at the collapsible buckets, what are your recommendations.
thanks in advance, an excited newbie!

Ok so I’m finally taking the camper out next week for our 1st stop over and a few questions if anybody can help.
i was wondering whether to put water in to the water tank or just purchase 5/10 litre water storage then use it for drinking, boiling water, cleaning etc.
if I use the van water tank how often should I clean it out and what should I use.
what is everyone using to collect dirty waste water, looking at the collapsible buckets, what are your recommendations.
thanks in advance, an excited newbie!
There is some info on VW California club ( like this forum but for posh campers ) but give @Loz a shout I’m sure he can help;)

We use the van 30 litre tank for washing up but have 2 x 5 litre containers for drinking, cooking, and kettle. Our waste outlet is low so we have a 5 litre fuel container that the hose slips into.
We sanitise the van tank at the start of the season or every 6 months.

We run our tank dry after each trip and a quick Milton rinse before we next fill up.
sometimes we just buy a 5litre water bottle and use that if we don’t trust the campsite water (morocco for example)
we have a waste water tank...

For waste, we have one of these
Although out of stock there!

Can get them from most camping shops I think.

Our camper came with a 23l removable water tank; the hose to the pump sits in but we added some brass (hose tail and F-to-F adapter) to weight the end down, and a bung from ebay to stop it splashing out when travelling. We fill up before we go, and empty back at home, then leave it open to dry.

Also a trolley; 20litres is 20kg !!

We use Milton in the underslung tank, drain it down if it’s not going to be used within a week or so. Just used for washing up, laundry and showers
Separate portable tank for drinking, mainly because I don’t like the taste of Milton. If it’s from a dubious source I put a couple of water purification tablets in, less than the specified dose.
There’s a few drinks that I object to buying; water and overpriced coffee.
Waste water goes to land but with consideration for others.

I fill with a fresh load of water each trip and use a commercially available dosed treatment that stabilises the water for up to 6 months( so they say ). If any water still in the tank at the end of the trip I dump it .
As I live in Australia its no good me telling you what I use but I get a small bottle from any caravan or RV store.
You can collect waste water in any dish or container then dispose of how you see fit.
We find our water is drinkable from the tank with no taste. If supply looked dodgy I would take a 5-10 litre container of good water for drinking.
Sounds like you cant wait to get moving, good luck on your travels.

Has anyone found a collapsible water carrier version that would go under the van for waste water from the sink of the one @CAB mentions above so can fold up and keep inside when not in use?

We bought this
However I am sure it was lot cheaper then, it goes under van easy enough.
not collapsible but light
7344F5BC-0946-493B-AB66-2936585AE8BB.png

Has anyone found a collapsible water carrier version that would go under the van for waste water from the sink of the one @CAB mentions above so can fold up and keep inside when not in use?
There are clear ones for drinking water, but I presume you don't want your waste water on show?

Why not just a collapsible bucket? Doesn't need to be huge.

I have a small concertina water container that I use for just this purpose. Great for short trips. Got it on Amazon I think. Mostly works but sometimes re-collapses so recently picked up a plastic container on Freecycle that was a beer container. Fits nicely under the van onto the drain nozzle.

Thanks very much for the advice. I'm just talking soapy waste from the sink not anything else. I've got a collapsible bucket to try but was thinking of something could load into car to empty elsewhere if needs be and so something with a screw lid would be better. The Sealey looks good. Thanks everyone.

I don’t think the dishwater with somebodies fried egg in it is going to make much difference.
All of my food waste about 6 litres / week gets buried in my veg patch, it’s gone within 14 days, absorbed back to where it came from.
Sewage discharged into rivers 400,000 times in 2020 Sewage discharged into rivers 400,000 times in 2020

just remember to pick it up before you leave as its normally the only thing on the other side of the van its easy to forget. I ran over mine on its first outing.

Oh and leave the big cap a bit loose water will drain out any solids will collect in the bottom of the tank so no unsightly food scraps under your van attracting vermin.

and just hope the next person using your pitch is not in a Tent and that they have a sewn in groundsheet... TANK up YOUR waste water even if you tip it in the bushes behind you

Not everyone has a Van ......

Thanks very much for the advice. I'm just talking soapy waste from the sink not anything else. I've got a collapsible bucket to try but was thinking of something could load into car to empty elsewhere if needs be and so something with a screw lid would be better. The Sealey looks good. Thanks everyone.
Yup that's exactly what I was talking about. If you don't have anywhere to dump it (if wild camping on a street) you can put the lid on and deal with it later.

Back