16” Spare wheel for 20” wheels?

Mkgolfnutters

VCDS User
VIP Member
Hi
just a quick question does anyone know how bigger spare wheel we can fit in the spare wheel compartment. We run 20 inch wheels and are touring Scotland and our 16 inch spare wheel I don’t think will be suitable. I may be wrong but any help would be gratefu.

There will be a lot of people in that scenario. I still have a 16" spare and if I got a front puncture I would put the 20" rear onto the front and the 16" spare to the rear. A mess on I know but with a DSG box and the slight difference in circumference I`m not taking any chances. Try and get a replacement/ repair asap. Rear puncture is straight forward.

Great question, just gone over to 20” wheels myself so keen to hear solutions as hadn’t given it a thought to be honest :thumbsup:

I have a 17” spare and run 18s in the summer. I had to alter the attachment point for the spare wheel bracket - basically pull a pin out and move it down

There are tyre size calculators (I use willtheyfit). Just find a load rated tyre that best matches the rolling radius of your 20s and treat as a ‘space’ saver when fitted in an emergency.

Ian

When I was off-roading in Jeeps and fitting ever bigger wheels and tyres it was firmly established that you got a 5th wheel as spare that was the same diameter as the other tyres you were using. Very important for the drive home afterwards. Or, if you didn't want that, then you carried a pair of wheels of smaller size and changed both left and right when you got a puncture and made sure not to go into 4WD once you had changed. A major problem was that usually the bigger wheels and tyres no longer fitted into interior or underbody holders. Hence the popularity of rear bumper or roof rack spare wheel holders.

I also run 20 inch wheels with 265 40 20s I have a 16 inch 205 65 16 as a spare and find face swap fronts and backs sets as mine is DSG. I have been repeated told it's fine to run a spare 7.5cm diameter smaller but didn't feel comfortable with that so I have fitted a 205 75 16 van tyre to my 16 inch rims, cheap as chips fits perfectly in the wheel carrier on the first hanging point zero mods from stock and is only 5mm difference in diameter than my 20s. Hope this is useful.

Jay

If anyone is running 275/40 r20 a 225/65 r17 spare wheel will fit in the space without any modifications and fully inflated.
My 4 motion van came with a 17” spare wheel from the factory

Rolling radius only matters if you have a 4 motion as you can swap wheels for FWD

Hi my only issue is if I get a flat front I have a DSG so would need to take a rear change with the spare then change the front potentially on a motorway hence my thoughts regards a space saver solution needing one change 50% less time spent 50% potential less risk. Just my thoughts. Do you run the 225 on the biggest carrier setting as the 205 was tight on the first one?

Jay

Hi
just a quick question does anyone know how bigger spare wheel we can fit in the spare wheel compartment. We run 20 inch wheels and are touring Scotland and our 16 inch spare wheel I don’t think will be suitable. I may be wrong but any help would be gratefu.
Also make sure the wheel bolts are suitable, and if not take some appropriate bolts for the 16” wheel. Make sure you have a wheel brace for both types also!

Back