150ps or 204ps for T32 LWB camper??

Rapt0rUK

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi folks,

Newbie here but we're finally getting close to pulling the trigger on our base van for a camper conversion. We've got our eyes on a couple of options and planning to get out to see them this weekend.

One question, I was after some thoughts on...150 vs 204...

There seems to be quite a few 150's our there but a lot less 204's... We've found one but not in our preferred colour. Was wondering what the consensus is on the 150 with a T32 LWB and whether it still has plenty of punch or is it worth holding out for a 204ps if you can find one?

I will of course drive both but until it's converted and had all that extra weight thrown in, it's hard to know how each engine would fair.

Thanks!

I only have a Caravelle and I was looking for a 204 but could not find the right one. So I bought a 150 DSG which is absolutely fine but I wanted the extra torque for ease of driving to make it more effortless and relaxing. I have mapped many vehicles in the past so I had not doubts about getting a good remap done. I now have the Revo stage one remap which is awesome - this could be a possibility for you. There are several good engine tuners out there and I keep hearing good things about Pendle and Revo. - Just my 2 penny worth which might help your decision process

Personally I think that 150PS is a nice compromise between performance and economy. It doesn't seem that long ago that VW were badging the 150TDI Golf as a GTI.

It's a van after all. When I'm driving mine, I never feel like I need to be in too much of a hurry.

Biased but so glad I spent a bit more and got the 204, pulls like a train and great tow vehicle.

I have the EU5 180 and enjoy the power but it’s quite a bit thirstier than my mates EU6 150.
Pretty sure the difference will also be there in the EU6 engines. Even lightly loaded it will probably still use more fuel.
Worth thinking about.

Got the 150 with a full conversion and been very happy with the performance of the engine. Has enough power and pulls well. Economy is not bad either.

As has been said 150 is absolutely perfect for what you’re after. You only really notice the difference between the two at higher motor speeds, but that’s illegal anyway. 150 is better on fuel too.

You can always map it

I drive a mapped 204 :)

Never driven the 204, but the 150 bhp lugging a camper conversion has enough go the for overtakes on the nationals. Set cruise on motorway and its fire and forget (atleast with a DSG). 34 mpg average over last 18 months. Achieves 37mpg on long runs at 70mph (gps). And eh, enough to make the eyebrow of surprise elevate on the autobahn.

I had this question back in May when I placed my order... in the end I opted for the 204 - now 199 (for factory orders) and glad I did. It’s occasionally nice to surprise certain special people at the lights :).

Thanks guys very helpful, I think it'll come down to finding the perfect spec on all the other extras we're after...good to know that I shouldn't necessarily be put off by a 150 though. I guess more important to get all the other bits we want. Very helpful!

Other things to consider,

- 80 litre tank
- power latching side door and tailgate
- electric mirrors
- removable tow bar
- LED lights as mentioned
Etc

On one of my previous threads I listed the options I went for...

Thanks, I'm going for the Highline trim as a minimum and hoping to strike lucky and find something that has been spec'd out with more... Will certainly can an eye out for those bits, hadn't considered the larger fuel tank, great shout!

The only thing with the larger tank is how painful it is to fill it. My Amarok had an 80 litre tank, so over £100 to fill. The 70 litre tank in my van is much more palatable. I still get the same 550 miles from a tankful as the Rok, so even though the bigger tank in the van wouldn't need filling as often, in my head, it feels better.

Back