12volt System reading 10.5v

Martinc178

Hi to all
I need a bit of help I have just wired up a 12volt system in my VW
I have feeds connected to my leisure batter +and -
The +goes to a fuse board and the - goes to a ground block which is isolated from the van

The van does have the engine battery linked to the leisure battery so when the van is running it gets charged up
When I put my meter across plus and minus I am getting a reading of 12.75 volts if I put the meter on the fuse board and to the - block I am getting a reading of 10.75 volts so I am a bit worried about that because I have nothing connected to the fuse board or the block.
Is it normal or I doing something wrong?
Cheers
Martin

Got any pics?

The leisure battery minus - should be connected to a good bodywork metal ground with a thick cable. Short as possible.

Is this battery connected via a relay to the starter battery or dc-dc charger?

Do you have stop/start?

Hi i have cables coming from the battery direct to the new fuse broad at the back of the van and to a negative block witch I have put in, so the ends of the cables are not supplying anything as the fuses are not plug in

But when I put the meter on to the + feed and then put the - lead to the body ground on the back of the van I am getting a reading of 10.5 volt is this normal

I would have expected no volt reading between live and neutral

Hi @Martinc178

We need a bit more information, you definitely have a problem.

Where is your leisure battery fitted?
How long and what thickness/gauge is the positive wire from the leisure battery to your fuse box?
Is the leisure battery negative connected to the body of the van?
What system are you using to charge the leisure battery?

If you could include some photo's this would help.

HI Martin, without a diagram its hard to imagine the setup you've described, it sounds like the battery isnt connected to anything at all, but bear in mind that on a voltage range, multimeters have an extremely high resistance to avoid loading the circuit and affecting its accuracy. This means that the effect of even the tiniest amount of leakage current (through water for example) can be read as a voltage. As a quick test solder a couple of wires to a 12v bulb and try connecting this across the 10.5v point whilst you are measuring it. My guess is the bulb won't light and the voltage will disappear whilst its connected.
Cheers
Phil

Edit: Why does the forum change "B U L B" to "lamp"? Whats wrong with the word 'b u l b'?
It describes the item far more clearly than 'lamp' ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi i have cables coming from the battery direct to the new fuse broad at the back of the van and to a negative block witch I have put in, so the ends of the cables are not supplying anything as the fuses are not plug in

But when I put the meter on to the + feed and then put the - lead to the body ground on the back of the van I am getting a reading of 10.5 volt is this normal

I would have expected no volt reading between live and neutral
Are you definitely for real? I 'm getting the distinct whiff of wind up here

Edit: Why does the forum change "B U L B" to "lamp"? Whats wrong with the word 'b u l b'?

I’ve never been in direct charge :) of electrical work but electricians I used to work with always told me they were ‘lamps’.

Perhaps with LED lamps one can now plant in the garden for night time illumination a universal term is overdue. Just that most lamps now don’t look like plant bulbs!

Bulb or lamp .... ?

Edit.... b.u.l.b at start got changed?

Last edited:
Back