12v socket retrofit wiring

CJW

2016 T6.0 T32 SL-to-Camper
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hello. First question on the forum from a new member. My 2016 T6 LWB doesn’t have a top tray 12v but does have a blanking plug. I bought an OEM socket and cables from a breakers that’s exactly for this vehicle. I’m going to wire it in to the ignition-on 12v supply using a piggyback. I’m aware the grey cable is the socket lamp, my question is can I crimp it into the same connector as the 12+ feed? My option is just not to use the grey but thought illumination might be useful to show ignition on. Many thanks.

Dont see why not and no reason it wont work
The main consideration would be cable size, assuming you are going to put in a reasonable size fuse for the cig socket, say 15A ?, the lighting cable would not be rated for this as its normally connected to the lighting circuit and fused at 5 or 7.5A

Reactions: CJW
Thank you Pauly. That’s a great point. I’ll leave it disconnected and go the full 15A on the fuse.

Cig lighter plugs & sockets are a disaster waiting to happen. They're a terrible design. There are gazillions of high-quality connectors on the market but car manufacturers insist on this one. Huge, ugly things with tenuous electrical contact.
Who smokes in a car or van anyway? Is it even legal to faff about lighting an incendiary at 70mph? :)
I've had so many cig lighter connections melt, even at moderate currents, at 15A personally I think they're a serious fire risk.
Couple of amps max for me, or a decent connector ;)
Cheese
Pies

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CJW
Cig lighter plugs & sockets are a disaster waiting to happen. They're a terrible design. There are gazillions of high-quality connectors on the market but car manufacturers insist on this one. Huge, ugly things with tenuous electrical contact.
Who smokes in a car or van anyway? Is it even legal to faff about lighting an incendiary at 70mph? :)
I've had so many cig lighter connections melt, even at moderate currents, at 15A personally I think they're a serious fire risk.
Couple of amps max for me, or a decent connector ;)
Cheese
Pies
They’re arcane - totally agree. Maybe I’ll put 15A wire and connectors in but fuse it just for my needs (phone charger). Thank you Phil. :)

I've searched the forum, don't *quite* see a post to help so...

Our T6 has no 12v power socket on the top dash tray, just the removable blank. If I were to add one in here, would I be best to take a ( preferably switched ) feed from the radio or is there another place that's better, ta?

If you're ever likely to plug in a switchmode USB adapter, I wouldnt take the power from the radio feed as they generate loads of hash on the power line, which could affect the radio.

@JOG

its all here:

• Love
Reactions: JOG
@JOG

its all here:

Nice one! SWMBO gets all twitchy when she sees me dust off my trim tools! Of course, now she wants a power point for her phone…..

I’m thinking of installing a wireless charger on the “shelf” above the glovebox …. That should rack up a few brownie points (naturally I will lose them without realising why or when!!!)

Reactions: CAB
If you're ever likely to plug in a switchmode USB adapter, I wouldnt take the power from the radio feed as they generate loads of hash on the power line, which could affect the radio.
Super, thanks everyone - I really appreciate the replies. Now watch for my next post, "How do you put out electrical fires" ? :D

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
Back