VIP Member
T6 Guru
So this came up
IMG_20190724_161057.jpg
Topped up with appropriate oil
And it's still comes on
Dipstick indicates enough oil??
Do I add more?
FYI the inspection now also has started to come on around my MOT time (June) but was told it was not due!

Weirdly, mine came on today too.
Mine uses around 1lt of oil per 10k, so it's not unusual for me, but topped it up and the lights gone straight off.

Ok stupid question time
Where on the dipstick? I have to check the manual again, thought I had it right

So this came up
View attachment 47827
Topped up with appropriate oil
And it's still comes on
Dipstick indicates enough oil??
Do I add more?
FYI the inspection now also has started to come on around my MOT time (June) but was told it was not due!
show us a pic of the dipstick level after the van has been sitting an hour after a run . . . .

When VW service the van, they set it in the middle of the 2 ridges of your dipstick, but I always top it to the max level.
I just know once the light flickers on, it needs 1lt, and that's what I top it up by.

I shouldn't really let the light come on, but it's so over sensitive, that it comes on as soon as mine is on the minimum level.

Thanks for the advice I shall see what happens in the morning.
The oil was low
I have not left the van for more than an hour
So will try the battery /reset tomorrow

Did you close the bonnet when rechecking the oil level light after filling up? The warning is reset by opening/closing the bonnet (at least it was like that on T5).
Have you checked that you have Oil temperature on the MFD? The same sensor unit monitors oil level.

Well #confused
Oil light still on this morning
Drove to my wife's work
Said on the way back will have to ring VW Sheffield and see if they would have a look, hit the motorway, got home, restarted engine...no oil light!!!
Still not complaining oil light off
Thanks again for your help and advice guys

I have the same issue on a 204 DSG Caravelle. I topped the oil up to the max level but the dashboard still shows the Check Oil Light in the service messages (also shows a mini oil light that comes on as a reminder)

Took the van out for a lengthy drive to get the oil warm and checked again after sitting. The oil level is at the max on the dipstick but light remains.

@simon did you do anything in particular to reset the light?

DE76D132-8434-4657-98B3-306CE9118644.JPG

... I had already spoken in another thread ... after the oil change, the oil temperature from the MFD disappeared .... perhaps from a wrong pc reset of the maintenance intervals .... if I can't see anymore 'the temperature .... I don't even see the oil level if it's low?

From experience with a German truck engine, the check oil level doesn’t say it’s low, could it now be overfilled and gone from a check warning ( because it’s low) to the same check warning (because it too high)

Just a thought as we had many drivers add oil when it was already overfilled.

From experience with a German truck engine, the check oil level doesn’t say it’s low, could it now be overfilled and gone from a check warning ( because it’s low) to the same check warning (because it too high)

Just a thought as we had many drivers add oil when it was already overfilled.
Interesting... and indeed the following messages/parameters are available in T6 EU6 engines:
upload_2019-8-29_23-29-51.png
Obviously another thing to keep an eye on... if these really are live parameters or just blank "placeholders".

... The warning is reset by opening/closing the bonnet ...
Sometimes bonnet locking mechanism micro switch gets mechanically stuck,
therefore constantly indicating closed bonnet(regardless if it is actually opened or closed).
In order to verify that, just open the bonnet and check your Instrument cluster centre display and see if the bonnet being opened is actually indicated.

Should this be the case, just remove the locking mechanism apply appropriate lubricant, wiggle the micro switch to free it up and reassemble the whole thing.

20220626_124738.jpg20220626_124706.jpg

Reactions: mmi
Back