Ölbel Conversions

Sooty6.1

Sue Rubies ~ 'CamperVanya'
T6 Pro
Hi, has anybody any experience of buying an Olbel camper. They look good quality VW conversions but I can’t find anything on the forum relating to them which I find surprising. I’m currently looking at a converted T6 Transporter T28 Startline, 105 bhp, very low mileage, seems to come with all my requirements except a wind out awning which I’d get fitted later. The price is £40K. Does this sound reasonable? Apparently you pay a small deposit up front to reserve, then it’s delivered to Olbel’s sole dealers which is the first time you actually see it in real life so to speak.

HOME | ÖLBEL

Strangely I can’t obtain the make of the diesel heater that’s fitted, they just tell me it’s a “generic heater” and can be remotely set from the key fob. After reading up on here, I’m thinking a Webasto or Eberspacher heater is preferable, any I should avoid?

Heater could be Chinese - £150. That they couldn’t/wouldn’t say sets off an alarm bell for me but, then again, I’m a cynic.
Once one bell goes off, others go off quickly...!

I’ve been looking at the same but started to smell a rat. I’ve been unable to find any legit info on either Olbel or Autobay Direct. Seems strange that there isn’t any mention in any T6 forums.

As I said earlier today: when one alarm bell goes off in my wee head, others follow quickly! Then, when @Tommy118 smelt a rat, I had a quick rummage:

47FD2E5F-5A47-4838-9956-750D0D87B00B.png

Before Olbel existed as a separate 'business' I looked at a few olbel conversions online on the Autobay website... I believe it's probably a one or two man band that churn out conversions for autobay exclusively. The conversions looked good on the website but at the price they were going for I'm not sure how good they are going to be! I remember the website listing having very vague information on the conversions, when I looked back in March time I wasn't able to find any information on their conversations outside of the autobay direct website.

I called them a couple of times with interest to look at an actual conversion, they had sold all their stock, took my details and said they would phone when they had more in, I never got a call back.

Every company we have approached have invited us to go along and see what they do. This has given us confidence of what they’re doing. Olbel have an address listed on their website, may be worth speaking to them and seeing if you can go along. Their conversions look very good online.

So, I now know from somebody in the motor trade that the Olbel conversions are owned by the owner of Autobay Direct, hence them being the sole sellers. They are legit and have told me I can view a finished conversion when it comes in so would be able to make an informed choice. I think they definitely seem worth a closer look.

So, I now know from somebody in the motor trade that the Olbel conversions are owned by the owner of Autobay Direct, hence them being the sole sellers. They are legit and have told me I can view a finished conversion when it comes in so would be able to make an informed choice. I think they definitely seem worth a closer look.

Would definitely like to know your thoughts when you get to see one!

I am not speaking ill of Autobay....but if Companies House are making a petition to strike them off, I would be cautious

I am not speaking ill of Autobay....but if Companies House are making a petition to strike them off, I would be cautious
Yes, that is concerning. My contact seems to know the owner quite well through business so I’ll mention this, see if I can find out more. Will definitely exercise caution.

Yes, that is concerning. My contact seems to know the owner quite well through business so I’ll mention this, see if I can find out more. Will definitely exercise caution.

It looks like a change of company director... Slight change of company name too

Be good to have some positive recommendations and info on their conversions. Insulation, roof install, seats, power and electrical install, safety, warranties. If they can answer all this then that would be interesting. Let us know how you get on.

If you are near Peterborough have a look at Knights Camper conversions in Holbeach. Brilliant company and excellent craftsmanship. They will make what you want and to your chosen budget. You can also go and see any stage of the conversion. May not be as cheap but more peace of mind.

If you are near Peterborough have a look at Knights Camper conversions in Holbeach. Brilliant company and excellent craftsmanship. They will make what you want and to your chosen budget. You can also go and see any stage of the conversion. May not be as cheap but more peace of mind.
I'm in Lancashire so looking more local, but thanks.

Buy a used panel van from VW for 20k - you then have a good choice of first class converters to spend your remaining 20k.
I haven't found it that easy to source a panel van. I was looking for a used low mileage T6 highline 150bhp SWB manual for a while and what I've seen have been nowhere near that price from VW dealerships. Where's the best place to look? Also a lot of converters have waiting lists to August next year, which I understand is because they're good and worth the wait, but I might look at ready converted to get travelling earlier. I'm only looking though, not going to jump in unless I'm 100% comfortable with a purchase.

Back