£99.00 Bed That Fits a SWB Kombi Perfectly

Well we have bought this bed from Ikea as it sounds like it could be ideal to suit our needs and the vans other uses. Not fitted it as yet but will post some pics once done. Thanks @Dannyb6467 for bringing this to our attention.:thumbsup:

Well we have bought this bed from Ikea as it sounds like it could be ideal to suit our needs and the vans other uses. Not fitted it as yet but will post some pics once done. Thanks @Dannyb6467 for bringing this to our attention.:thumbsup:
No problem M'Lord.
Dont forget to leave out the rear bar during building the bed. There will be 2 bars in the box that are about 15mm diameter, its one of these.
Look forward to the photos.

Got mine bought and “erected” just need to put it in the kombi

Got mine bought and “erected” just need to put it in the kombi
Don't forget to leave off the rear cross bar or you'll find it's a really tight fit without the need for it to be.
Oh and I can't wait to see the photos.
Cheers.

This is genius! Picking up my first ever T6 Kombi on Tuesday and have been looking around for cheap bed solutions... @Dannyb6467 you’ve nailed it! Thank you!
Do you think I’d be able to leave the front bar off so that I could access the storage from inside the van, or would that undermine its strength?

This is genius! Picking up my first ever T6 Kombi on Tuesday and have been looking around for cheap bed solutions... @Dannyb6467 you’ve nailed it! Thank you!
Do you think I’d be able to leave the front bar off so that I could access the storage from inside the van, or would that undermine its strength?
Hello there.
Front or back it doesn't matter to be honest. I chose the back as that's where we store and load from. The kettle etc is under the bed and so while the wife snoozes I can open the back and pull out the boxes. If you chose the front the boxes will be too far under the bed so not accessible.
Also, I strap the bed down, just to stop any rattles, the strapping points on the van fall near the front of the bed so if the bar isn't in then I'm wondering if the strap pressure will try and squeeze the frame together. Perhaps a more elaborate fixing down method would be better but I sometimes take the bed out and the strap takes literally seconds.
Best of luck and will be interested in seeing the finished installation.

Hello there.
Front or back it doesn't matter to be honest. I chose the back as that's where we store and load from. The kettle etc is under the bed and so while the wife snoozes I can open the back and pull out the boxes. If you chose the front the boxes will be too far under the bed so not accessible.
Also, I strap the bed down, just to stop any rattles, the strapping points on the van fall near the front of the bed so if the bar isn't in then I'm wondering if the strap pressure will try and squeeze the frame together. Perhaps a more elaborate fixing down method would be better but I sometimes take the bed out and the strap takes literally seconds.
Best of luck and will be interested in seeing the finished installation.

That’s a good point about access when the bed is down... Wonder if you could drill new holes for the bar lower down so that the boxes could be lifted over, but it’s still there to provide support and stop the boxes sliding forward when you break...
Such a great find you had... thanks for sharing!

No problem Ian....lower bars wouldnt really work in my opinion, the boxes i use are about 150mm high and just about (literally) fit underneath. If you had to lift these over the bar you would be into even thinner boxes.
Try all options....its only 2 screws a go!
Cheers pal.

This is great! I've had that bed bookmarked for weeks and then found this thread... Ordering now! Thanks for the pictures showing it actually in the van.

This is great! I've had that bed bookmarked for weeks and then found this thread... Ordering now! Thanks for the pictures showing it actually in the van.

No worries! I love 2 hours to the closest IKEA, So on my way home from Cornwall we stopped in at Exeter Ikea just off M5 and got it bought! More room on the bed for us both than our air bed when we use to camp!

Don't forget ikea do a mattress topper for this bed. I use one as although it was really comfy without it....it wasn't like our mattress at home. Now I actually look forward to sleeping in the van.

Back