£485 For Materials...

CALLAKN

Electrician / Linesman
VIP Member
T6 Legend
so I’ve priced up all the materials I need to insulate, sound deaden and ply the Kombi... (silent coat, dodomat and precut ply)

My question is, what did people pay to have the van done professionally instead of doing it themselves? TransporterHQ quoted £540 for sound deadening and 850 for the carpeting...

Hence doing it myself !! Keen to do it myself, but if I could pay someone the £300 labour I would!

I would say over space of 3 months I have put a good 20 man hours into doing exactly this. A novice but i now know what has gone into it and where and I have kinda enjoyed it too.

Exactly, like I’m in no rush, and I enjoy abit if DIY, being a crafts person myself... it’s just having the balls to go I’m and do it.. only bit I’m worried about his carpeting the metal work. The panels will be easy of course.

I did it on my last van. It's doable and the end product was good but it was a pain in the ass and a load of faffing about. The multi stretch carpet is quite forgiving to patching up if you make a mistake.

Pay a professional!

I did it on my last van. It's doable and the end product was good but it was a pain in the ass and a load of faffing about. The multi stretch carpet is quite forgiving to patching up if you make a mistake.

Pay a professional!

But is it worth paying double and more for it to be done !? Or am I just getting ripped off with the quote

I paid £1600 for it to be done by slidepods, could have got cheaper from a less well known company but was happy to pay that to have it done by the pros. I in9tially thought of doing it myself but after being shown around their workshop and talked through the process decided to pay someone who knew what they were doing! They had the van for 4 working days, it would have probably taken me 4 months of weekends - not practical as it’s my daily driver

Yeah, I’ll do it myself. Currently in a new apprenticeship, so money’s non-existent...

Just seeing the light prices, proves to me I will be doing it myself. 6 LED touch lights cost £65 , and they’re only a couple of inlines and 69mm hole to be drilled in the ply.

If I get any professional help, it’ll be just carpet the metal work, around windows etc. But I’m sure I can buy window trim for that job.

But is it worth paying double and more for it to be done !? Or am I just getting ripped off with the quote

I'd say yes. But I'm not exactly super practical. The metal work is the trickiest bit, but f you've got patience, skill and time do it yourself.

Leave the roof to later...you don't need it right away and your prices seem a bit large...are they including fitting?

My LWB was as follows:

1x Medium Van Upgrade Bundle - Medium Van Upgrade Bundle for £249.99 (Sound deadening Shop)
Megvanmats Anthracite / Grey 15 m Lining package with Glue and clips £168
Ply Panels ebay cuctom design shop £110

My LWB was as follows:

1x Medium Van Upgrade Bundle - Medium Van Upgrade Bundle for £249.99 (Sound deadening Shop)
Megvanmats Anthracite / Grey 15 m Lining package with Glue and clips £168
Ply Panels ebay cuctom design shop £110

same sort of money as me, panels cost £90 ish, but 75 for roof...

Back