£16 Well Spent..

zombie_T6

T6 Guru
So I've always done all my own servicing on all my cars and the T6 is no exception. That said why has it taken me so long to get one of these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FreeTec-Sc...cles/Boats&qid=1561844051&s=automotive&sr=1-1

Why have I insisted on crawling under the van to get to the sump plug when I could have got one of these ages ago. I'm sure many of you have them already but if not and like me you have thought about it but the shrugged it off and thought nah, all I can say is try it.

Changing the oil today was a doddle, insert tube into dipstick tube and watch in awe as it pulled out 7lts of oil in around 6-8 minutes. I still had to reach under to get the filter out as mine has pipes and the rad in the way to pull it through the top but man that was the tidiest oil change I've done for a while.

Lets see if it works again next year/10K miles time....

Is not the idea of removing the sump plug to also remove any debris that has sank to the bottom? Would sucking the oil out remove these particles?

Very likely, yes. In the US there are millions of cars that have never had the sump plug out and they do many more miles than us.

I also service my own vehicles, and i've seen dealers using these things, but i'm of an old school way of doing things. I prefer dropping out the bung and just leaving it to drain every drop whilst I do the other things. Plus it's only a couple of minutes to drop the plastic underneath, and a good excuse to remove all the road crud that's got jammed up there.

Yeah I’m old school mechanics as well but I’m thinking as I only do around 6-7k a year this might be alright for every other oil and filter change. I usually do oil and filter one year then oil and filter, air and fuel filters the next.

Back