Review: CRS Performance - Koni Definition kit

Going to add my experience with @CRS Performance . Went for the Koni kit. Now under 2m in height, way better ride and comfort, and looks the part now too. Held off adding my review until I’d driven it loaded. Totally worth the money - just wish I could have afforded it sooner. Better late than never.

Two tips to others - wheel alignment necessary afterwards and +£100pa more on insurance.
Did they say why it was more , shocks are a serviceable item and should be replaced periodically , do they charge more after AN OIL CHANGE HA HA >??

Did they say why it was more , shocks are a serviceable item and should be replaced periodically , do they charge more after AN OIL CHANGE HA HA >??
Yes they said it was a ‘modification’ that changed the performance as it had been lowered.

I asked my insurer at renewal last month about this. According to them, as long as the ride height remains fairly standard there would be no additional premium.
If it was lowered, then there would be more to pay.
I was wanting to be more or less where it sits now, or slightly adjusted to remove the slight sag at the back anyway.

Yes they said it was a ‘modification’ that changed the performance as it had been lowered.
Just goes to show how desperate they are to charge more , "Lowering is a performance advantage " , I dont think so ??!! ha ha

Just goes to show how desperate they are to charge more , "Lowering is a performance advantage " , I dont think so ??!! ha ha
To be fair they said ‘changed the performance’. Although I agree wholeheartedly that it is in a very positive direction.

To be fair they said ‘changed the performance’. Although I agree wholeheartedly that it is in a very positive direction.
Shocks ( our ones ) are a performance enhancing part BUT its also a serviceable part and therefore I dont usually advice clients to tell insurance companies about a shock change even though they are miles better .

Last edited:
Shocks ( our ones ) are a performance enhancing part BUT its also a serviceable part a there for i dont advice clients to tell insurance companies about a shock change even thought they are miles better .
I think of my Koni Special Shorts as a driving safety enhancement.
My virtually empty LWB DSG Kombi had to be a T32, as was the only option made at the time.
It bounced, juddered and/or wallowed about in differing circumstances on the standard shocks.
(Before and after my -50mm H&R springs)
Many, many times it felt unsafe.
I dread to think how it would’ve reacted /where it might’ve ended up in an emergency!

It’s a much, much safer drive now.

Thanks again Steve and crew @CRS Performance for your knowledge and assistance.
Andy

Shocks ( our ones ) are a performance enhancing part BUT its also a serviceable part a there for i dont advice clients to tell insurance companies about a shock change even thought they are miles better .
Yes, I’m talking about the springs. I specifically asked you what to say to the insurance company, you said it’s been lowered. I’m not complaining BTW,
Just heads up for other with same insurer.

I took a photo and measured the gap and evidenced the way the back was low and the front high. I stated the new suspension was to correct this that would rectify the poor handling.

'As you know, I do hundreds of 20” T5/6 kits and I would say 95% of them are fitted and sent with 275/40-20 tyres all the way round. The only (very rare) circumstances I have heard of 275/40-20 catching the arches are sometimes if the van has been lowered and that is only on full lock.'
I have been in contact with the conversion company and mentioned the advice given to me by CRS concerning the incorrect tyres being supplied on the rims and Steve mentioned this was very common and he didn't know why it still occurred. I didn't know it would be an MOT failure until Steve told me. The conversion company sent my enquiry to the wheel supplier and the above is the reply.
The conversion company know the tyres were rubbing when I left their business and I took it back once - prior to the new suspension being fitted by Steve and crew.
So it would appear the reason the incorrect tyres are sent out is due to simple denial of the truth.

I have been in contact with the conversion company and mentioned the advice given to me by CRS concerning the incorrect tyres being supplied on the rims and Steve mentioned this was very common and he didn't know why it still occurred. I didn't know it would be an MOT failure until Steve told me. The conversion company sent my enquiry to the wheel supplier and the above is the reply.
The conversion company know the tyres were rubbing when I left their business and I took it back once - prior to the new suspension being fitted by Steve and crew.
So it would appear the reason the incorrect tyres are sent out is due to simple denial of the truth.
There is a big grey area here , firstly fitting a 275 40 20 tyre on a transporter is not illegal and indeed not dangerous the wheel and tyre manufacturer's with confirm the fitment is safe . The issue that is becoming more relevant is the lowering of a van and the fitment of 275 40 20 tyres ( they are approx 40 mm bigger in diameter than a standard tyre ) the tyres rubbing on the wheel arch cover is now getting more and more attention on MOT day , we have only come across one customer who failed the MOT because of this and it could be that the inner liner had worn through ?? a few more incidents of advisories on it have been noted however .
I cant comment on van owners who are removing the liners in order to get the stance really low with out touching . Has any one experience of this ?? .

The bottom line is the 275 40 20 is carried over from the fitting of Range rover wheels to the vans and using the tyres they have . Its also easier to get sufficient load rating .
The practice ( common practice ) of fitting 275 40 20 tyres or 265 40 20 tyres all around on staggered wheels is also confusing , these look odd and again not dangerous or illegal but just looks naf ,
We questioned a supplier of a set of staggered 20 inch wheels to a van where the client wanted 80 mm down , we couldn't do it because of the bulging front tyres . When questioning the supplier they said its the clients fault for clicking to buy it and wouldn't offer an exchange or refund ??
So this is the problem, no one is to blame ! nothing is illegal or dangerous , but the van owner sits with the issue because he trusts big suppliers to give him the right thing . There are enough posts on social media from clients who took our advice and fitted 245 45 20 tyres on the front of their vans and comment how much better the overall feel is , Steering is a little sharper, grip is better , and there is no loss of comfort as the side wall is as big as the 275 40 20 .

@CRS Performance - I currently have staggered rears 275/35/20 and fronts 245/40/20..along with Stance-X coil overs (all came with the van) - no real issues other than hearing a rub from the rear when hitting road compressions at speed (think loaded camper on windy country lanes).

Looking in the very near future to get some 17" wheels and 'swamper-lite' tyres. I'm assuming I'm gong to need to change the shocks/springs. My question is...do I get the suspension done first or do I get the wheels fitted then come to you so that you know what you're dealing with or is there an option to buy wheels and tyres online and come to with them in the back of the van and you do everything i.e. suspension, fit wheels and do the wheel alignment?

I've specifically not rung you yet as don't want to waste your time until I'm ready to push the button - just after an idea of the process.

Thanks

View attachment 227699
It’s Cannock. So went for a little ride round the trails as well as I was in the area.

View attachment 227700
Looks good, but you must have a LOT of weight in there, that’s no where near a 40mm drop. Looks like it is riding at about 370-380 there. But appreciate that picture the van could be parked on uneven surface. What’s the distance from the centre of the wheel cap to arches front and back?

@CRS Performance - I currently have staggered rears 275/35/20 and fronts 245/40/20..along with Stance-X coil overs (all came with the van) - no real issues other than hearing a rub from the rear when hitting road compressions at speed (think loaded camper on windy country lanes).

Looking in the very near future to get some 17" wheels and 'swamper-lite' tyres. I'm assuming I'm gong to need to change the shocks/springs. My question is...do I get the suspension done first or do I get the wheels fitted then come to you so that you know what you're dealing with or is there an option to buy wheels and tyres online and come to with them in the back of the van and you do everything i.e. suspension, fit wheels and do the wheel alignment?

I've specifically not rung you yet as don't want to waste your time until I'm ready to push the button - just after an idea of the process.

Thanks
Steve can do both for you - wheels and suspension!

Thanks
Apologies for slow reply , i am struggling to keep up with all the inquiries

The stance coil overs wont be ideal at all , they cant actually cope with the weight of a camper . I also dont think they will cope with the weight of a swamper style tyre / wheel package ( its a lot heavier ) and they wont get the height we need for it either . So thats all the bad news !
You can organise the wheels you want and bring them with you , or if you want to get them sent straight to me ( if that helps ) ill store them till you get here

We can get you in quite quick we dont have huge waiting times because we do 4 to 5 every day

Many thanks

Another vouch for Steve and CRS. Had the definition kit fitted on Monday and what a difference. Wanted to improve the crashy ride over bumps/sunk drains etc which it does. What I thought I wasn’t too bothered about but am most impressed by is the ability to go round a corner without having to adjust the drive to stop it falling over. My van is a pleasure to drive now and feel like the added cornering ability has added 50bhp to it.

Apologies for slow reply , i am struggling to keep up with all the inquiries

The stance coil overs wont be ideal at all , they cant actually cope with the weight of a camper . I also dont think they will cope with the weight of a swamper style tyre / wheel package ( its a lot heavier ) and they wont get the height we need for it either . So thats all the bad news !
You can organise the wheels you want and bring them with you , or if you want to get them sent straight to me ( if that helps ) ill store them till you get here

We can get you in quite quick we dont have huge waiting times because we do 4 to 5 every day

Many thanks
Thats great Steve. Thanks for replying - You've actually confirmed what I thought with regards to the Stance coilovers - my van came like this and having 3 MTBs hanging off the back of it on trips up to Scotland...doesn't really feel up to the job :(

I'll be giving you a call before the end of the month to arrange :)

Thanks
Danny

Back