Is there anyway of checking that they have actually changed your clutch?

Craigshezza

Hi all, I've recently had my clutch and DMF replaced. I'm still having intermittent issues getting gears and was wondering if there was anyway of checking that the work has actually been done. I don't want to keep throwing money at it, money I haven't got

The clutch and dmf are hidden inside the gearbox so not sure how you could 100% prove one way or the other with out splitting the gearbox again but it seems quite radical that a garage would claim to have changed it if they havent !

Gearbox bolts / area around bolt holes may show signs of disturbance - the underside builds up a consistent layer of road grime which gets rubbed off when working on engines / gearboxes etc. If the box has been off its unlikely they didn’t change the bits inside.

There is a small inspection hole in the gearbox bellhousing that you can see the starter ring gear.

You might be able to take a pic or get an inspection camera in there?

A new DMF will be nice and shiny.

Appart from that, just obvious (to some) whiteness marks on the bolts and brackets that need removing to get the gearbox out, to get to the DMF.

Screenshot_20230626_192854_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230626_192907_Chrome.jpg

There is a small inspection hole in the gearbox bellhousing that you can see the starter ring gear.

You might be able to take a pic or get an inspection camera in there?

A new DMF will be nice and shiny.

Appart from that, just obvious (to some) whiteness marks on the bolts and brackets that need removing to get the gearbox out, to get to the DMF.

View attachment 203599View attachment 203600

Thanks for the info Dellmasive. Much appreciated. I'll have a look tomorrow morning.

I had the DMF and clutch replaced on mine, it wa certainly noticeable to me and I remarked on another thread about it. The van initially felt quite different to drive and smoother when selecting gears, I only realised after it was replaced how rough it had got.

They may not have changed the throw out bearing which may cause issues.
Or, the problem is in the box.
What’s on the invoice?
I had a good chat with the Mechanic and he said it was definitely the DMF. And good practice is to change the clutch at the same time (which I've done before on other cars). The invoice is for DMF and Clutch.

I had a good chat with the Mechanic and he said it was definitely the DMF. And good practice is to change the clutch at the same time (which I've done before on other cars). The invoice is for DMF and Clutch.

Did the mechanic test drive the van after replacing the clutch / DMF?
From your first post it seems that you're not entirely happy with the gear change, perhaps it would help if you were to get somebody knowledgeable to drive the van and get another opinion?

found another pic from under my van of that small opening.

1687847113256.png

and here is a vid clip. . . . you can see the opening.

and also hear my DMF rattling . . .

++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++

Did the mechanic test drive the van after replacing the clutch / DMF?
From your first post it seems that you're not entirely happy with the gear change, perhaps it would help if you were to get somebody knowledgeable to drive the van and get another opinion?
I am going to pop into Midland VW for some advice. Taking it back to the garage who done the work tomorrow first. Let him have another look. Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

A written quotation and an itemised invoice with part numbers is the way to do business and a better way to ensure you get what you want.

Update. Took it back to the garage that done the DMF and clutch and they have changed the linkage cables and gear box oil. It drives a great deal better and smoother, but still having the intermittent problem, not being able to get any gears at certain times in my journeys
I'm not losing and pressure on the clutch pedal, but think, do I replace the master cylinder next???

Back