Dreaded sos error possible quick fix

Obee1toby

Now this hasn’t happened in my t6.1 yet but tonight it came up in my Crafter which has the same discover sat nav. 170 miles away from home with no sat nav or phone, tried leaving the ignition off for a while then tried it again, this time the head unit wouldn’t turn on properly at all.

Searched around for ages online to see if there was any quick fix’s but all I could see was people taking them back to the dealers, then I found a guy on YouTube who has the same problem in his Audi s3.....................sod it i thought, I've got nothing to lose. Guess what it only bloody worked first time and everything was back to how it was, might not be a permanent fix but I’ve just done 170 miles trouble free.

Here’s how, keep your finger on the sos button until it actually makes a call, this can actually take up to a minute but mine took about 40 seconds. It then asks if you want to cancel the call by pressing the sos button again, do this and after a couple of seconds the sos error light goes off and everything should go back to normal.

As I’ve said probably not a permanent fix but certainly helped me out tonight.

Hi,

I have used the above for a quick fix, but it does keep occurring. I’ve even held the console power button for 10+ seconds, to get a full reboot and turned off ignition, got out and locked it and then gone back inside again - this sometimes clears the error.
Generally, after 30 odd mins, it often clears its self. But you have no hands free car phone during this time….

16 weeks after first reporting this problem to VW and still no fix.

So, I emailed the entire board of UK and German Directors and asked WTF ?

(If you google this error message, it’s a known fault across the entire VAG range - the Guardian newspaper picked up on it earlier this year)

(( link : VW, Audi and Skoda owners angry over fault in SOS warning system ))

After being overtly on their case, it would appear that a software update is now available, as of 18/11/21, but I have been advised my VW will need to go in for it to be updated.
(I did ask if it could be updated over the air remotely, but no answer to that yet).

After 16 weeks of waiting for a fix, I’ve now been advised that there is a 2-3week further wait until they can book me in !

This is likely to be the last VW I purchase (personally and for my fleet) - lovely vehicles, but too many software glitches and complete lethargy from VW to acknowledge and fix.

If you have a similar issue, or another that you cannot get resolved, THE BEST EMAIL ADDRESS FOR VW ACTION IS THEIR CEO IN GERMANY :

herbert.diess@volkswagen.de

I hope you all manage to get your VW’s fixed, I will be outing mine soon and going back to Mercedes - not quite as nice a ride, but I’ve found them to be more reliable and customer centric.

Hi,

I have used the above for a quick fix, but it does keep occurring. I’ve even held the console power button for 10+ seconds, to get a full reboot and turned off ignition, got out and locked it and then gone back inside again - this sometimes clears the error.
Generally, after 30 odd mins, it often clears its self. But you have no hands free car phone during this time….

16 weeks after first reporting this problem to VW and still no fix.

So, I emailed the entire board of UK and German Directors and asked WTF ?

(If you google this error message, it’s a known fault across the entire VAG range - the Guardian newspaper picked up on it earlier this year)

(( link : VW, Audi and Skoda owners angry over fault in SOS warning system ))

After being overtly on their case, it would appear that a software update is now available, as of 18/11/21, but I have been advised my VW will need to go in for it to be updated.
(I did ask if it could be updated over the air remotely, but no answer to that yet).

After 16 weeks of waiting for a fix, I’ve now been advised that there is a 2-3week further wait until they can book me in !

This is likely to be the last VW I purchase (personally and for my fleet) - lovely vehicles, but too many software glitches and complete lethargy from VW to acknowledge and fix.

If you have a similar issue, or another that you cannot get resolved, THE BEST EMAIL ADDRESS FOR VW ACTION IS THEIR CEO IN GERMANY :

herbert.diess@volkswagen.de

I hope you all manage to get your VW’s fixed, I will be outing mine soon and going back to Mercedes - not quite as nice a ride, but I’ve found them to be more reliable and customer centric.
Bugger that’s a shame it’s reoccurring, mine hasn’t come back on since in my crafter, wonder if there’s slight differences between the two. As it’s not happened in my transporter I’m yet to try it.
It should also be asked though not as important, why are the speakers so crap in a 40k transporter but are really good in a crafter.

Back